I am in meetings the rest of the week, so a couple really quick but important items.
• A big congratulations to some of our Police Officers who have received acting promotions to work with Chief Joe Kriens in the transition as we bring in a new Chief. Albert Ramos and Jeremy Warren received acting promotions to the rank of sergeant and Jose Hermosillo and Gordon Brown received acting promotions to Corporal. These officers will be working with Chief Kriens to move a number of key initiatives forward in laying the groundwork for the next Chief. They were selected based on the interest and leadership potential as we begin a new era for the Winters Police Department. A big congratulations to these officers!
• The Planning Commission and City Council held a workshop to consider an update of City ordinances related to commercial cultivation of marijuana in town. The update affects commercial cultivation only and will move to the City Council for consideration on February 16.
This week I am plugging for two of our really great organizations in town- the Winters Friends of the Library and the Winters Senior Foundation.
• Another great reason to join the Winters Friends of the Library. Jenna Moser from our Planning Division is the new Secretary to WFoL and is promoting these new discount cards. New benefits to membership in WFoL with the cards in 2016 include some really cool stuff. Members are now entitled to exclusive discounts and promotions thanks to the Winters business community. Discounts will revolve and currently include 10% off a purchase of $20 or more of regular priced merchandise at Pacific Ace Hardware, special discounts at Anytime Fitness, 15% off your total bill at the Buckhorn, discounts at Preserve Public House, double stamp at the Scoop on your frequent buyer card, 10% off 1 panini or wrap at Steady Eddy’s Coffeehouse, 10% off your purchase at Turkovich Family Wines, and $5 off the Winters Healthcare Foundation Cookbook by Ana Kormos. These local businesses have shown their commitment to Winters and community literacy by supporting the Winters Friends of the Library. You’ll need to show your membership card in order to receive the discounts.
Join WFoL today at: https://wfol.org/join/ Online registration is available, or contact Karla Knabke, chair of the membership committee at 530-795-2042. WFol has donated over $200,000 to the Winters Library, provided over 800 books to families with the Books for Babies program, presented 80 free summer concerts with more than 60 bands, 19 years of Family Holiday Festivals, supported thousands of extended library hours, and soon the Winters Library will become a 10GB library with improved high speed internet access. 79% of Winters residents have library cards, the Winters library clocks in over 100,000 visits annually, and over 17,000 internet sessions have been logged on 14 public terminals
• WFOL Tree Sale The Winters Friends of the Library will hold the annual Fruit Tree Sale on Saturday, March 5th from 9 am until the trees are sold out. WFOL members will be allowed early entrance at 8:30, bring your new membership card or you can join at the door. The sale will be held in the parking lot on Railroad Avenue in downtown Winters between Baker and Edwards Streets. Bare root trees are $10 each and citrus trees are $25 each. The bare root trees are donated by Sierra Gold Nursery, and the citrus trees are donated by Four Winds Growers, Winters. Proceeds will be used to benefit programs of the Winters Library and to expand the library collections. For more information please call 530-795-3617.
• Quiz Show Friday Feb 26th Come and join the fun, if you like trivia, or enjoy the excitement of a good competition, save the date, and gather a group together to compete in this exciting fund-raising event for the library. Teams of five will pay a $100 entrance fee and will compete in three rounds of trivia questions to claim the trophy with the title of Trivia Quiz Champion of Winters, and a $200 cash prize. Teams may be sponsored by civic organizations such as Soroptomists, businesses such as Main Street Cellars, or formed from a group of friends with eclectic minds. WFoL will be sponsoring student-only teams. People not part of a ready-made team may sign up for a fee of $20, and form teams of interested individuals.
• Those wishing to be a part of the excitement, but not be on a team are welcome to come watch the fun for an entrance donation. Refreshments will be sold.
• Entrance forms and a list of rules and procedures are available at the library. All entries and fees are due by Wednesday, February 18th. Teams may also register at the door for an extra charge of $20, if all tables are not filled. There is a ten team limit due to space. If you would like more information about the Quiz Show, please call Rebecca Fridae at 795-4600.
• There is still room on the Seniors Reno Train Trip and Harrahs Casino: Winters Senior Foundation are planning a Reno gambling and party trip for March 16/17. The trip will include a train trip from Davis and a nights stay at Harrah’s Reno. The train trip will be $79.90 pp and the hotel room (double occupancy) is $81.96. This sounds like a really fun trip! If you are interested in going, Click HERE to email Joe Tramontana and let him know your interest. They need a minimum of 10 rooms to make the deal happen, so contact him soon.
Have a good week.