Friday Update on October 18 2019
A short recap of my week and the week ahead:
- The Hispanic Advisory Committee will be holding a Dia de los Muertos Celebration at the Winters Cemetery from 4-6 pm on Saturday, November 2, 2019. Folks from the Winters Cemetery have stepped up to make this really wonderful cultural event happen. Look for more about this next week. Music, singing and the celebration of our dearly departed.
- We met with neighbors of the Olive Grove Subdivision to go over progress made to help prevent water issues in the coming winter. Nice people with legitimate concerns. They proved the most concerned issues can be worked through and forward momentum can be achieved!
- I had an opportunity to present before the Davis League of Women’s Voters to talk planning and General Plan stuff. Nice people with lots of really good questions.
- Getting ready for round 2 of Chromium 6 presentations next week. I will be meeting with key folks from the Division of Drinking Water is what should be just a joyful time! This regulatory issue is one of the biggest threats to our community.
- Getting ready for the 2019 Rotary Spooktacular 10k/5/k/Fun Run next Sunday, October 27, 2019 beginning at 7:00 in Rotary Park. This will be a really fun, family event to help raise scholarship monies for Winters High School Students!
Finally, we held our Bi-Annual Library Steering Committee meeting this week with the City, Yolo County and Winters Joint Unified School District.
Over the past year, we have worked to fund some improvements and repairs at the Community Library. The City/County/WJUSD funded $25,000 toward new flooring, paint and some key repairs in the public areas. The Winters Friends of the Library (WFOL) funded $30,000 toward a new audio visual system for the public meeting rooms. I was simply blown away!!!
WFoL really is one of the finest organizations in our community. They have funded key improvements, were a spearheading part of the construction of the library, fund extended hours, sponsor education programs and present an incredible speakers series and other programming. WFoL was also the largest community organization donor to Project Playground and has been very generous in mentoring other groups on the Big Day of Giving. The leaders of WFoL are some of the most gracious and community minded people I know in our town. To say I was surprised by the donation is not really true, more so that sometimes you have to cheer for their long term commitment to making things better for all who live in Winters. I am really grateful to be able to work with these folks on so many projects. Cheers to WFoL!
Have a nice weekend!