Working through another active week. Some key items:
City Council Agenda for May 5:
- Housing Element Consultant
- Budget Workshop
- City Council Liaison Assignments
- Weed Abatement
- RADAR/ALPR Trailer
- Weed Abatement
- Proclamations for Older Americans and Big Day of Giving
The inside on some items:
- A big push this week to get Lake Berryessa and Markley Cove back open. We are literally working all angles with our State Representatives, Congressional Reps, the Bureau of Reclamation and Napa County. We should hear something next week.
- Staff will be recommending a deviation from our practice of two year budgets. The unpredictability of the pandemic and the anticipated recession means stepping back and literaly living week to week. This means putting together a one year budget for Fiscal year 20-21 and moving in concert with actions from the State of California.
- Over the last week, Staff has taken an ax to the City Budget and Finances, cutting a projected $1.2 milliion deficit from the previous $5 million General Fund spending plan with draconian service cuts. The City will eliminate 4 full time positions (including a Police Sergeant), will institute across the board pay reductions for all City personnel and recommend closure of the Community Swimming Pool and programs, Community Center, elimination of City library funding and a consolidation of many service functions.
- The Budget Workshop will give an opportunity for City Staff and the City Council to review the ramifications of the reductions. This week has been one of the most challenging of my professional career from a fiscal problem solving standpoint. The Covid 19 pandemic and a few other issues has the City literally on the verge of bankruptcy.
Finally, the extension of the Yolo Health Directive for an additional 30 days is a significant hit to the Winters Economy. The directives come from the State and the Governor which makes it difficult from when you consider the lack of local control on all of this. I will share that working within the Yolo County framework is a blessing to both navigate and solve many of the issues which are arising. There is real collaboration amongst the County and Cities which is not seen everywhere. There is a level of pragmatism which is not always appreciated but I can tell you that from where I sit, it’s a pretty good feeling knowing that you can trust that even on those issues which we disagree, we will work together to persevere on the next.
Wishing everyone a wonderful, safe and healthy weekend.