City Manager’s Update (pdf)
August 15, 2022
Sadly, I feel compelled to recognize that Winters lost another teenager this week in a motorcycle accident on Grant Monday evening. It feels like the community needs to give itself a huge collective hug and stay tight to help these families find their footings after so much tragedy. A 4th death and 5th tragic accident in as many weeks. Take care, everyone, and please look out for each other. Big hug.
Don’t Miss Out!
- Last weekend’s opening night of Midsummer Night’s Dream was a success! If you haven’t seen it, tickets are available here for final shows Friday and Saturday, August 12 & 13. Shows begin at 7 p.m. Thank you, Winters Theater Company, and all the actors and support crew who made this event possible.
- We have been hearing a lot about Monkeypox of late. This virus is related to smallpox and is transmitted through close physical contact or contact with bodily fluids, even on linens and towels. While the virus has circulated primarily through the gay and bi-sexual male community, anyone can become infected, especially within the same household. For more information, please visit the Yolo County Monkeypox landing page here.
- School is back in session so the pool schedule has changed; please click here for the schedule through October. Because the pool is on school property, we are unable to run public programs during school hours. Open and lap swim times are available throughout the week.
Did You Know?
Good news ~ COVID concentrations in our local wastewater have come down dramatically in Winters, although county-wide transmission is still considered high. Please note, the dominant variant BA.5 does have the ability to reinfect, even if vaccinated, boosted, or previously infected with BA.5. Health officials strongly recommend wearing masks indoors, particularly if anyone is immunocompromised.
- Anyone over the age of 50 or immune-compromised is eligible for a second booster, which is also strongly recommended to minimize the risk of serious illness. The CDC is also evaluating opening up second booster to anyone 18 years or older later this fall.
- Beginning in the fall, boosters will be formulated specifically to help prevent BA.5 infection; however, health officials advise to not wait and to getboosted now if eligible.
- Free masks are available at the Winters Library. Free testing is still available at the Winters Unified School District headquarters. And the City of Winters is partnering with the County to host a free COVID test kit dispensary machine, which is located in the parking lot adjacent to City Hall. Finally, Winters Healthcare is an excellent option for testing and vaccinations. No appointments necessary.
Upcoming Council Meeting
The next Council meeting is September 6th. And the new sound board is in!
A happy 25th anniversary to Sgt. Albert Ramos! Sgt. Ramos was raised in Winters, graduating from Winters High School in 1989. Prior to his career in law enforcement, Sgt. Ramos worked as a clerk at Yolo County Traffic Division and later joined the Winters Police Department in 1997. He was recognized as the “Officer of the Year” in 1998. In 2004, he received his associate degree in Criminal Justice from Ashworth College and promoted to Corporal. In 2016 he promoted to Sergeant and in 2020 received his bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, also from Ashworth College. He is married with four children and has always felt blessed to work and raise his family in Winters. In his free time, he enjoys traveling, listening to music, watching movies, taking walks, and spending time with family. For more information about Sgt. Ramos and our other Police staff, please visit Behind the Badge on the Police Department landing page.
In other public safety news, please congratulate Fire Captain Matt Schechla on his appointment as Acting Fire Chief effective August 22nd following Chief Lopez’ departure to Suisun City. Captain Schechla will do a great job juggling shift duties as Acting Chief. Together with our excellent team of paid and volunteer fire personnel, the Department will continue its mission of excellence during the Fire Chief recruitment, which should be posted soon. Thank you, all!