City Manager’s Update (pdf)
July 1, 2022
Greetings, all. We’re all about the July 3rd FIREWORKS SHOW today! Click on the link for more information.
The show will begin Sunday after 9:15 when it’s completely dark. Launch site is from the High School; field gates open at 5 p.m.
- Alcohol is prohibited on school property; no glass on the field, please. Bags will be checked at the gates.
- Food trucks and pop-up tents will be on Hemenway and behind the bleachers – we have A LOT this year!
- Pre-show music is provided by local DJ Barnett through a generous contribution from the Winters Volunteer Fire Fighters. Thank you!
- We anticipate heavy traffic in and out of town. Please do not walk in streets; stay on the sidewalk. Please cross Grant Avenue at traffic signals.
- To facilitate traffic leaving town after the show, PD will place all Grant Avenue lights on flash and allow only right on right for the side streets. This will allow departing traffic to clear more quickly; we appreciate your understanding this temporary inconvenience for drivers trying to cross Grant to head to the north side of town. Please give PD about an hour after the
show to clear the traffic.
- PARKING: The dirt lots on Railroad will be paid parking, $10 cash. Thank you, Marianis! The high school lots on Railroad will be paid parking $10 – cards only. These fees help offset the cost of the show. Parking on the east side of Hemenway adjacent to the field is for food trucks, vendors, and event coordinators.
- FUNDING: The event will cost approximately $20,000. The show itself is $18,000 for July 3rd and would have been more for July 4th – since people have asked. We’ve raised about $5,000 in
donations and vendor fees thus far. Plus the $4,600 in the fund. We expect parking fees and gate donations to generate about $3,000. We are still short about $6,000 plus to fund this event. To donate, please click here.
- CORPORATE SPONSORS: It’s not too late to donate! We’ll acknowledge your minimum donation of $1,000 throughout the event, on our website and with a certificate of appreciation at Council. Please email email@example.com for you would like to donate $1,000 or more. Thank you!
- VOLUNTEERS: We appreciate everyone who has signed up to help support this community event at a gate or a parking lot entrance. We pay staff to fill in if we don’t have enough support. A huge thank you to Taylor Buley for his help coordinating volunteers. If you have signed up to volunteer, please come to the football field at 4:15 p.m. Hemenway Gate.
- Please don’t shoot them off. They are dangerous, cause fires, disturb others, and scare pets. Violators could be cited $1,000.
- The City recently launched the Nail'em" App for mobile devices; created by TNT Fireworks, the app is a tool to report anonymously the sale and use of illegal fireworks. By downloading the application to your iPhone or Android (links provided below), you can report the use of illegal fireworks. Sending a report through the Nail' em" App, will NOT solicit an immediate response from PD or Fire. The information will be sent to and reviewed by our Code Enforcement Division. A $1,000.00 administrative fine may be assessed to homeowners and hosts of gatherings if sufficient documentation has been provided.
We also encourage you to report illegal fireworks, by calling our non-emergency dispatch number at 530-795-4561. They will need as much specific information possible, such as location. Please help your First Responders ensure our community celebrates safely this year by using only approved Safe and Sane Fireworks!
For more information about this app, please watch the video at: https://fb.watch/dX7EQ94Z2I/
Android Users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPtXmUrP_IA
iPhone Users: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTo2LFeuPio
Did You Know?
- The animal shelter is full of adoptable dogs, cats and kittens! The Friends of Yolo County Animal Services are looking for forever homes, foster parents, volunteers and donations. Please visit friendsofycas.org or visit County Animal Services.
Upcoming Council Meeting – July 5th
The packet is linked here. The consent calendar includes appointing a delegate to the League of California Cities Annual Business Meeting, approving the city-wide maintenance district annual assessment, and the adoption of the new tow ordinance. Discussion items include an update to the Emergency Operations Plan and a discussion regarding site coverage.
Hotel Winters received a 2022 Travelers’ Choice Award from Trip Advisor! Joining an elite group of hotels, Hotel Winters has been a tremendous economic partner for the City of Winters and the downtown businesses. The hotel also generates transient occupancy tax (TOT) that goes into the City’s General Fund, which helps fund general operations. Hotel Winters is a critical part of the Yolo Countryside event business, providing lodging for people who attend weddings and events at beautiful facilities in the country. People shop and dine while they are here, helping to support our local businesses. So congratulations to the Hotel Winters’ team, and thank you for your community support.