City Manager’s Update (pdf)
June 18, 2021
Not to state the obvious, but it is HOT out….Please be careful working outside. Drink lots of water, seek shade, and don’t overexert yourself. Heat illness prevention information is below, along with tips on how to help conserve energy during peak times and avoid rolling black out during Flex Alerts.
COVID-19 “Are we there yet?”
Woot! Woot! We have lift off! Starting June 15, the following COVID regulations are in place:
- Capacity limitations: No restrictions!
- Physical distancing: No restrictions!
- Masking: Individuals who are fully vaccinated do not need to wear a mask in most settings. Unvaccinated individuals must continue to wear masks in indoor public settings, including businesses. All residents must continue to wear masks on public transit and in the workplace, medical facilities, K-12 schools, correctional facilities and shelters, regardless of their vaccination status.
- Travelers: Follow CDC recommendations.
- Mega Events: Proof of full vaccination or of a recent negative COVID-19 test is required for persons attending indoor mega events (consisting of 5,000 or more attendees) and is recommended for those attending outdoor mega events (consisting of 10,000 or more attendees).
- Please note that businesses can require additional restrictions. At City Hall, please wear a mask in our public lobbies and at public counters for the health and safety for our employees, not all of whom are able to be vaccinated.
- Swim team registration is open! The City has partnered with Solano-DART to manage the team. Please click here for more information. Practices begin on Monday, June 21. In person parents meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, June 23 at 7:00 p.m. on the deck at the Bobbie Greenwood Swim Center. A Zoom introduction is also scheduled for 7:45 p.m.
- To sign up for adult lap swim (16+), please visit https://www.cityofwinters.org/swim-schedule/
- Registration for swim lessons will open next week.
- The Fire Department newsletter is posted here, and includes very helpful information on fireworks safety. Let’s celebrate in a Safe and Sane manner!
Don’t Miss Out!
- The Garage Sale of the Rich and Famous is tomorrow morning! Get ready for selling and shopping! Traditionally the greatest concentration of sellers is on Main Street and at City Park.
- The Winters Museum has opened a new exhibit, “The Lost Japanese Community of Winters” about Japanese residents who were interred during World War II, many of whom didn’t return or lost their homes. The Museum is open Thursday – Sunday, 1 – 5 PM at 13 Russell Street. It’s worth a visit and some thoughtful reflection about our collective past. https://www.wintersmuseum.org/home.
- The Green Valley and Yolo County Fire Safe Councils are offering a free webinar for homeowners who want to harden their homes against wildfire on June 28 from 4 – 5 p.m. Speaker Yana Valachovic from UC Cooperative Extension Forest Advisor is the presenter. To register, click here. For more information about the Yolo County Fire Safe Council, visit https://yolorcd.org/project/yolo-county-fire-safe-council/.
- The Draft Housing Element is on the City’s website here; public comment is accepted through June 30. The consultant will present the draft document at the next Planning Commission meeting on June 22, beginning at 6:30 p.m. via Zoom. https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85726550636?pwd=SVlRNmFzRUlOUHcxOFVnbTd2SGxtZz09. The Agenda also includes consideration of the draft Climate Action Plan and a Planning Commissioner appointment to the City’s Affordable Housing Steering Committee.
- Rent and utility assistance is available for income eligible individuals and families.
- BayREN Business provide rebates, financing, and one-stop-shop technical assistance to ensure small and medium businesses can leverage all available energy saving programs. During this unprecedented time, our goal is to support the resilience of your businesses by lowering energy and maintenance costs while improving the look and feel of your facility. Get to know BayREN Business, a new energy efficiency program available to small and medium businesses in the Bay Area, during a launch webinar on June 30 at 2pm. The program offers an all-in-one solution called AssetCare to help businesses save energy and reduce operating costs. Register today at https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8394692528764960012.
Upcoming Council Meeting
Our next Council meeting is July 6, IN PERSON! We are also working on providing Zoom access as well so people can participate from the comfort of their own sofas. Stay tuned!
Did You Know?
To all those volunteers out there that help make special events truly special, a big thank you! And to Taylor Buley who is assisting the City with coordinating volunteers for the fireworks show on July 3rd, another big thank you. To help at the high school football field (gate monitoring, donation collection, trash pickup, safety tent) and parking lot management, please register here. We certainly would appreciate it!