City Manager’s Update (pdf)
June 17, 2022
Greetings, all. Don’t miss out on the live music downtown all summer long. Thursday night Music in Rotary Park begins at 7 p.m. and live music on Main Street begins at 7 p.m. on Fridays. More information is posted at https://www.discoverwinters.com/events . Join your neighbors and come get your groove on!
- And it is still spreading. New more highly contagious sub-variants have evolved that can evade prior infection and immunization. Please consider your health risks and others when in public.
Don’t Miss Out!
- The Fire Works Show is July 3rd. More information is at 3rd of July | City of Winters, including a link if you would like to donate to the event fund. The team has secured food trucks and vendors tosupport the family-friendly event at the Football Field. Gates open at 5 p.m. Show begins around 9:15. Please NO ILLEGAL FIREWORKS.
- Safe and Sane Fireworks will be available for purchase at a booth located in front of Lorenzo’s later this month. Proceeds support Little League and the City’s youth aquatic program. Please consider volunteering at the booth by contacting Kathy Cowan directly or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll forward your information along.
- Want to learn more about serving on the City Council? The City is hosting a Candidates Forum on Saturday, June 25, beginning at 9 a.m. to noon in the large conference room, Abbey Street entrance. Information will be posted here. At Tuesday’s Council meeting, the Council will adopt a resolution calling for the election and requesting that the local election consolidate with the General Election on November 8. The nomination period will open July 18 and close in August.
- The Winters Participation Gallery (WPG) is gearing up for its next mural. The new mural will be located on the north side of the Winters Post Office. The board of the WPG is looking for more students to participate in the project. The project is set to begin on June 20th. Any middle school and high school student can join the project. Interested students should contact Liz Coman at email@example.com. For more information on the mural project, please visit https://www.wintersparticipationgallery.org/.
- Thank you, Yolo Resource Conservation District, for eradicating a patch of silver leaf night shade along the Nature Park trail near the Community Center. This invasive weed is difficult to control once established.
- Yolo County is partnering with other agricultural counties to coordinate a pesticide collection event to safely dispose of these chemicals. To determine what service levels are necessary, please pre-register at http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/legacypesticides. More information is here.
- The School District is coordinating a project to replace the flooring in the restrooms at the Bobbie Greenwood Swim Center. Thank you!
Upcoming Council Meeting – Tuesday, June 21
Items include the adoption of the FY 22-23 operating and Capital Improvement Program budgets; a fee for Carry Concealed Weapons Permits recently delegated to local agencies from the Yolo County Sheriff; an update to the City’s Conflict of Interest Code to reflect new staff titles; an introduction of new Police initiated tow ordinance; a contract extension for Bureau Veritas; and a resolution calling for a local Council election. The packet will be posted here by the end of the day.
As a reminder, you can participate via Zoom or in-person at the Council Chambers. If you are sick, please do not attend in person. You may also watch the live stream of the Council meeting on the City’s website at the same link above.
Congratulations to the Winters 50/70 Little League team on their recent championship win following a three-day tournament! The final score against Davis was 11-1 in the last game. Kudos for all the hard work from the players and the many family and community members that support the League.