A couple notes for this week:
· Construction continues on the Main/Grant Traffic Signal. Staff met with Caltrans on a couple issues, most importantly the traffic control requirements. We are hoping for an approved change which will allow two lanes of traffic to eliminate the stoppage occurring now. We also have a request modify the Caltrans work restrictions which have significantly reduced the work day. Both of these changes will expedite the project and reduce the overall costs.
· The City Council awarded the construction contract for Grant/Walnut Roundabout Project to Vintage Paving of Winters, CA. Project documents are in the works and we can expect to see construction activities begin somewhere near the end of July to the beginning of August.
· The roundabout will include daily closures (8 a.m.-3 p.m) of Grant Ave with a detour. This will help expedite the project. It will create a big headache for a bit, but will help expedite the project. Kind of like tearing the band aid off all at once. It will sting for a bit, but then it will be done.
· Look for grading to begin for the subdivisions located in the north area near Shirley Rominger School. The grading is set to commence the second week of July and will go for a 45 day period. Lot’s of dust and dirt to fly, so get ready.
· A big congratulations to Winters Police Chief John Miller who received a $9,800 scholarship from the California Police Chiefs Association to attend an Executive Leadership Institute for Police Executives to be held at the Peter Drucker Management School at Claremont College. This is a huge honor and an incredible professional and personal development opportunity for the Chief!
· The City of Winters has been awarded grant funding for the installation of two high capacity vehicle charging stations adjacent to the Community Center. Elliot Landes of the City Staff submitted the grant and obtained the award. Reason #6 to justify why you need to run out and purchase a Tesla! Well done, Elliot!
· Last Friday, a Vacaville Police chase ended in town with the arrest of 3 suspects in an armed robbery from Vacaville. The arrest was made mostly from the K9 officer who located two of the suspects hiding in a back yard! The lesson learned is when you see the K9 car, surrender or you get to be the guy (or gal) from the video wrestling the police dog without the advantage of that big padded suit! Ouch!!!
· June 23 is the Fourth Friday. Good food, cold drinks on a hot day and the ambiance of Downtown. I plan on being there and highly recommend it.
Have a nice weekend.