A couple items:
· Winters Police and Fire will be active at Winters High School in a training exercise on Saturday, January 21 in the morning. This will be a full simulation exercise on a couple training goals for the Departments. People will see a considerable amount of activity at WHS but please note that “This is only a drill”!
· This week, Councilmembers Bill Biasi and Jesse Loren attended the League of California Cities “New City Councilmembers Orientation” in Sacramento. The seminar is a comprehensive look at local government issues, laws and procedures to prepare them for success in navigating the myriad of responsibilities of being on the City Council. I liken it to trying to “drink from a fire hose” with the shear volume of material they are given at the meeting (the notebook is over 700 pages). Both learned a lot and had an opportunity to meet other elected officials from throughout the State. It is really cool with the number of folks who know about Winters and how much the “love” our town! When the Mayor of Palm Desert comes up to you and says she has heard and read about the “good things” happening in our community, you know you are doing some things right!
· The storm Wednesday night knocked out power to a couple neighborhoods and the East Street Pump Station. The good news was our auxiliary generator immediately kicked (and ran for almost 18.5 hours) on and our staff was immediately notified through our network control systems. It is awesome when things work the way the are supposed to!
· Russell Street seemed to have taken the brunt of the storm, with lots of trees and debris down, broken power poles and lines along with a really big mess. If you have a friend and a pole saw, go give them a hand this week.
· Overall, Public Works along with Winters Fire and Police have done extremely well with helping folks impacted by the storms, which seem to be lining up……
· Special thanks to ESPS neighbors Jill and Josh Nelson and Sally Brown and Jeff TenPas and their patience for listening to the backup generator on all night!
· The Winters Music Boosters will be hosting a fundraiser with the show My Funny Valentine on February 4 at the Community Center. Attached is the flyer!
Finally, today was the 58th Presidential Inauguration which represents one of the most significant symbols and the greatness of our democracy with the peaceful transfer of power from one president to the next. It is a view of history which dates back to our founding fathers and includes elements which were mostly established and written by Thomas Jefferson. No matter your political persuasion, the spectacle of watching the leaders of the three branches of our government, past presidents, political rivals and ordinary Americans coming together in celebration on this special day is something which should never be missed.
As a child, my grandparents took me and my brothers to Washington D.C. and we visited the White House. All they talked about was what an honor it was to go to visit the home of the President and how blessed we were to be Americans. The day before, my grandmother took us to a Sears and bought each of us new dress suits, shirts and ties along with shoes for our visit. My Grandfather wore a nice suit and my Grandmother a new dress. We were incredibly excited and they told us we need to be on our best behavior because where we were going was special and symbolic of the incredible history of our nation. They were so right and the visit is something I remember like it was yesterday. It helped instill in us the importance of service, patriotism and gratitude for living in such an incredible country.
Our nation is the purest democracy in the world and the inauguration is a chance for the entire world to witness why we are the leaders of the free world. It is a special day and something to be celebrated.
President of the United States has got to be the toughest job in the world! Now, former President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle are coming to California for a well deserved vacation as he leaves the presidency. Hopefully, they will toast the ultimate task in citizen service and what they accomplished in eight years. Whether you agree with the politics, our nation owes a tremendous debt of gratitude to the Obama’s for bringing class and dignity to the White House, working tirelessly for our nation and setting an incredible example for the next generations. They deserve the vacation and the genuine thanks of our nation. Pray that they find success in their next phase of life.
Equally, President Donald Trump deserves our well wishes and prayers that he can fulfill the pledge doing great things (I already think we are great)! No matter your ideology, he is now our President and this is OUR nation and the thoughts and hope that all people will find success is what matters most. His inauguration is but a beginning point. And as did President Obama, I am certain that President Trump is going to work really hard. Hopefully folks can find a way to come together, transcend many of the issues which have created division and focus on the common values of peace, freedom, liberty and the ability of all people to pursue happiness. Everyone deserves a chance and we must give him that opportunity.
Have a nice stormy weekend!