Key items as we head toward Easter and Passover:
City Council Agendas:
April 3, 2018
- Youth Day Parade Permit, Amplified Sound & Request for Annual Donation
- Nature Park Extension Project Approval
- 2018-2019 Project List Funded by SB1, Road Repair & Accountability Act
- Downtown Hotel Development Impact Fee Payment Agreement
- Proclamation Honoring Retiring Winters Fire Protection District Commissioner Donald A. Rominger
- Proclamation Honoring National Library Week, April 8-14, 2018
April 17, 2018
- Homeless Coordination Project 3-Year Contract
- Starbucks Final Acceptance & Notice of Completion
- Nature Park Extension Project Approval
- CAFR (Comprehensive Annual Financial Report)
- Traffic Survey Ordinance
- Public Works Presentation
A couple notes on some items coming up:
- The State has modified drinking water standards, again, with a new MCL (maximum contaminant limit). “TCB 123” is found in most common products from fertilizers, solvents, pesticides and cleaning products. The MCL is 3 Parts Per Trillion! Well 5 has tested at an MCL for TCB 123 at an MCL of 5 ppt. This triggers a notification requirement for our residents which will go out in our next utility bill notifying them of the contaminant. We have taken Well 5 off line and will keep it off until we no longer have detection.
All testing is done at the Well. ONLY Well 5 had a positive hit for TCB 123 (Wells 2,4,6 and 7 all are negative). In the past month, we did some maintenance and repairs on Well 5 and we suspect that some of the products used are causing the positive hit. We are also looking at external environmental sources. Our plan is to do an extensive cleaning and flush of the well The State Department of Drinking Water (DDW) is requiring the notification and we will comply.
- Thefts from cars has begun again. Thursday night, a number of cars were robbed, most likely from the same group who has been robbing from cars throughout the town. Literally, we have a number of people walking through town, looking in cars and checking the doors. If they are unlocked they go into the vehicles and steal what they can find. Even if they are caught, they only get a misdemeanor citation which means basically nothing.
- Car burglary is not just a Winters issue, it is happening everywhere. There are groups of persons who now know that stealing is no longer a crime in California and are perpetrating theft in every community. Police are immensely frustrated because people who are losing hundreds of dollars in personal possessions are left empty which they call the police to report the crime and are basically told that theft is no longer a serious offense in the California. The bottom line is we need folks to lock their doors and secure their possessions if they want to keep them.
- Applicants are being sought for an Economic Development Advisory Committee- The City is seeking interest from residents who are interested in serving on the upcoming Economic Development Advisory Committee. The Committee will begin meeting during the second week of May and will continue for approximately four (4) months with a total of 8 meetings. The Committee will be working on the development of recommendations to formulate plans for improving the overall Winters economy and generating a quality business environment. To apply, go to http://www.cityofwinters.org/…/…/11/App_Int_Appt_Pos2013.pdf and complete the application. For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit applications no later than April 13. 2018 to email@example.com.
- The City Budget is in preparation phase with each of the City Departments submitting their proposals to our Finance Department. We are putting together budgets for Fiscal Years 2018-19 and 2019-20. Our anticipation is that FY 2018-19 will be a tight year and we should see the Winters economy begin to percolate in the second quarter of 2019 and into the balance of the year.
- The Creek is running higher!! All through Putah Creek, people will notice higher flows, bleeding into the flood planes and more current over the next few weeks. The dam is releasing pulse flows of higher volume which will be beneficial to fish in the creek. Right now is a beautiful time to take a look as the creek come to life!
Have a Happy Easter and Passover. As we move toward spring, a great time for family, friends and a chance to enjoy the beautiful area we live in.