Lot’s going on this week.
- The Fish Fry is tonight at the Fire Station starting at 5:00. My best recommendation is to get there early (5) or after 6:30. This event is a Winters institution and something not to be missed!
- The Winters Joint Unified School District is doing an important survey for the Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP), an extensive survey process to all stakeholders on how the WJUSD is meeting the needs of students and community. Online surveys are be available to all community members at wintersjusd.org beginning Tuesday, February 16, 2016 and ending Monday, February 22, 2016. Take 5 minutes and do the survey!
- City staff is kicking in efforts on addressing the new State mandates on Chromium 6. The City Council approved a $128,000 contract for consulting services (about $60 per customer) and meetings will begin next week.
- The City is looking at other water options, including finding surface water and even the possibility of building reservoirs in the area for storage and use. The insanity of the State of California on this issue is monumental and expensive!
- On Thursday, a group including the Chamber, Solano Water, Bureau of Reclamation representing Lake Berryessa, Putah Creek Council and Solano RCD convened a meeting on creating a Winters Salmon Festival. The tentative dates will be November 1-5. Stay tuned!!
- City Staff is working with the WJUSD on replacing sidewalks near Wolfskill/Clayton School on third street.
- The City Staff is beginning draft departmental budgets for the coming 2 fiscal years.
- The City currently has four websites we maintain including the City website, Winters Police, Winters Fire and Discover Winters. We also have Facebook pages for City, Police and Fire as well as Twitter for the City. We are working on coordinating strategies for additional outreach and continuity for our internet and social media programs to enhance information and transparency. This is a work in progress with many issues to deal with.
- Staff will be meeting with Urban Community Partners regarding the Downtown Railroad Property and potential development.
- A new Police Officer will be sworn in at the March 1 City Council Meeting. The persons name is AJ Whipple who has local family and roots.
- Winters Fire and regional response agencies held a series of training drills at the Monticello Dam. From confined space to rappelling exercises and helicopter rescues, the agencies trained with a wide variety of resources and issues. It is nice to see our department taking the lead in these types of activities.
- Fourth Friday events in Downtown will start on March 25. City Staff will be working with the Chamber on the expansion of lighting across Main Street and better coordination on electrical use and trash. These events have become a real signature for our community and a win for all who participate.
Finally, a couple more reminders:
- Winters Friends of the Library Quiz Show is Friday, February 26. If you are interested in entering a team, contact Citizen of the Year Rebecca Fridae at 795-4600 to enter a team.
- The WFoL Fruit Tree sale is on March 5 starting at 9:00 on Railroad Ave. The trees go fast so get there early!!
Have a nice weekend.