Who can believe that Christmas is in one week. I am in complete denial! A couple items as we get ready to end the year.
- Grading and earthwork for the Downtown Winters Hotel is being completed. Look for an official groundbreaking and the start of construction just after the first of the year. Construction plans are in plan check now and will be ready in early January.
- The schedule has the Putah Creek Car Bridge being completed the second week of January. Cross your fingers!
- The Parking Committee gave a really good report and update on their efforts to review issues in our downtown. Click HERE to watch a video of parking evolution during a busy Saturday night. It shows things coming to life. Kudos to Chris Turkovich, Gino Mediati, Sandy Vickrey and Devon Vickrey for their work on the report. Extremely well done.
- Time to confirm and dispel some rumors. Yes, Chevron is looking to do a significant remodel/renovation (new store building and expansion of pumps); and Yes, a major coffee chain is looking at locating at the freeway. No, the fast food chain with the golden arches has NOT brought in plans. Yes, a major hotel is considering a future move to Winters.
- The Salmon count in our stretch of the creek has exceeded 500. Given the reports on issues with declining salmon in Northern California, it looks like we have done something special!
- If you are worried about flooding from coming storms, sand and bags are available at the City Corporation Yard on East Street in the dead end. Come and help yourself but please take only what you need. If you need an entire pile of sand, get it from Winters Aggregate and not by taking our entire pile!
- City Hall will be closed December 24-January 4.
No updates over the holiday week. I send this update to a lot of people. Many of you will put your out of office auto reply and when I send it, I will see 1,000 reply’s which ruins our server. Hence, look for a comprehensive update on everything happening the first week of January.
Merry Christmas to all and we will see most of you next year! ~ John