• Lots of activity in the Building and Planning Departments with permits and projects activities. Winters Ranch pulled 6 more permits (21 total now), the Downtown Hotel grading has begun and we had a team in to discuss projects out by the freeway.
• The Putah Creek Car Bridge hit an important milestone with the intersection at Railroad and Russell St being poured in preparation for the bricks. The railings are scheduled to be poured next week and the bridge will be opened shortly thereafter.
• Police Chief Sergio Gutierrez has announced his retirement from the Winters PD after 23 years of service. The Chief began his career as a school resources officer and has served many capacities in the Department, including key roles in two recent murder investigations. We will be appointing an interim chief by January and will begin a recruitment after the first of the year. The realistic start for a new chief will be in the summer 2016.
• To keep up to date and see all of our major projects happening in town, click HERE and get a view of some of the really cool things going on.
• So what is happening with the Downtown Hotel and why the big hole in the ground. The project is in the “grading” phase which means they need to essentially excavate the property and bring the soil back in layers in order to achieve the desired compaction to meet building standards. Basically, they have excavated half of the lot and will put it back then they will do the other half and put it back. Easy!!
• An easy City Council Meeting this week with a contract extension for the Walnut Park Design, a refinancing agreement for the Winters I Apartments, a Notice of Completion for work with Vaca Valley Construction and minutes.
• Do not forget to vote for Winters High School by going to www.celebratemydrive.com and voting. It is super easy and they are in the running for $100,000.
• Winters made one of those “Top 100” lists as one of the 100 most Redneck cities in California! Click HERE for the list. Coming in ahead of us were those super oakie towns of Sausalito, Marina del Rey, Woodside, Capitola, Tiburon, Westlake Village, Pismo Beach, Emeryville and the super cow town- Indian Wells. Too funny.
• Congratulations to our Winters High Varsity Football team who won the Sacramento Valley League championship with a perfect 5-0 league record. They also secured the #1 seed in the NSCIF Div. IV playoffs and will Play Esparto this tonight at Dr. Sellars Field at 7:00.
• Tonight is the Friday the 13th Party at the Winters Express, now on Russell Street. Tonight is also Newts retirement as the worlds oldest paper boy! Go on buy, have a beer on Charley and find out what Newt’s plans are after the Express.
Finally a salute to our Veterans! Our nation and the world is grateful to the men and women who advance the cause of freedom and human rights throughout the world. Our nation is the greatest on earth because the men and women of our armed forces sacrifice so that other may live free. A very genuine thanks to all as we honor your service.