A week of ups and downs:
- Earthquake Festival– So when I picked up my Winters Express this week and saw Chamber President Kathy Cowan on the front page (she must hold the record for the most cover photo’s) I knew it was time for something fun. The Earthquake Festival is this Friday starting at 5:00. Food, fun, music for all ages. Both Terry Sheets Band and the Time Bandits will be playing. This is an awesome party and a huge fundraiser for many groups. Have fun but also remember that it is the largest law enforcement presence on any single night in town. If you plan to drink, walk, designate a designated driver or set up someone to bail you out from Yolo County Jail.
- As a warm up, Steady Eddies is having a fundraiser on Friday for the Relay for Life. Attached is a flyer (HERE/pdf) and a chance for you to get the caffeine in you to start the night. Acoustic music and a laid back way to begin the evening!
- Downtown Hotel Update: The project has a major tenant for the downstairs who is requesting some changes and upgrades which will require Planning Commission approval along with structural/foundation changes to accommodate. Look for the project to be before the Planning Commission in September, then a month for a new plan check.
- Roundabout Update: The Walnut Lane roundabout has the encroachment permits but we have run into an interesting snag. The funding comes from a pot of money which is geared toward reducing traffic congestion (ie traffic should move faster). The most recent traffic analysis shows that the traffic will move slower thus creating an interpretation that it will create “congestion”. The funding agency has approved a new funding source but the actual allocation cannot occur until November. Look for construction after the first of the year.
- Time to get the pitchforks out and tie the rope…….. Chromium 6 will be the big item on the September 20 City Council Meeting. The full presentation on options and methods for addressing the new State mandate. The projected cost to deal with the new State regulations is somewhere between $24 and 40 Million. As they said in Greece, don’t kill the messenger!
This is an active weekend. Winters Warriors High School Football is home on Friday with JV’s starting at 5:30 and Varsity at 7:00. Winters AYSO Soccer begins the season on Saturday.
Have a nice weekend.