Friday Update on May 2 2016- Pre Big Day of Giving Addition
First, a big thanks for everyone who came out to the Youth Day Rotary Pancake Breakfast on a windy day. Also, a big thanks and congratulations to Mike Sebastian for his service to the Community over the years and his retirement as Chairman for the event.
A couple items for the week:
- The Dedication for the Putah Creek Car Bridge is this Friday, May 6 at 3:00 behind the Community Center. Food, fun and the historical dedication of a bridge which should last the next 200 years!
- May 3 is the Big Day of Giving. In recent years, this has been a significant fundraiser for some really important Winters organizations that make a BIG difference in our community.
Here is the list of organizations from Winters which you might consider:
- The Winters Friends of the Library (WFoL) is a preeminent organization for Winters. Through the years, they have funded many tens of thousands of dollars toward expanded library hours, programming, furniture, speakers forums and were the leaders in getting the Winters Community Library to where it is today!
- Putah Creek Council is the organization which has led the way to the ecological restoration of the creek. They were the ones who led the fight for water flows in the early 1990’s and continue the efforts today with incredible restoration work, enhancement of fish habitat and educational programming.
- Center for Land Based Learning is one of those organizations which has put Winters on the world food map. From farm based educational programs for urban youth to community farming initiatives, the Center for Land Based Learning is setting an incredible standard in educating people about food and farming.
- Winters Healthcare Foundation brings quality healthcare to our rural community. Through a diversity of services, WHF helps serve all aspects of the Winters Community with quality health services.
- Winters Community Theatre not only entertains us, but they give back through renovations at the Community Center and enhanced opportunities for people of all ages.
- The New Hope Community Development Corporation (CDC) Yolo County Housing is the non-profit arm for Yolo Housing. This incredible organization has brought a renaissance to public housing in Yolo/Solano Counties and continues to seek new and innovative solutions to many of the issues facing people in need of affordable and available housing.
These organizations bring so many benefits to Winters and they need your support. Giving starts at midnight tonight and runs until midnight tomorrow. There are incentives (prizes of enhanced donations from the sponsor of Big DOG) to these organizations for early giving, so give early and often.