City Manager’s Update (pdf)
July 2, 2021
Greetings, all. Let the festivities begin!
- Saturday begins with a pancake breakfast sponsored by Rotary and the Winters Fire Department at the Community Center downtown. Please support these groups by joining us for breakfast from 7 – 10 a.m. Breakfast is a hearty egg and sausage breakfast with hash browns and fruit. $15 / adults; $10 / kids under 12. Proceeds support the scholarship fund for college-bound youth and the Fire Department’s holiday gift giving for needy families.
- The fireworks show will be held at the High School Football Field; gates open at 5 p.m. Food trucks and pop ups will be Hemenway and behind the home bleachers. Or bring in your picnic baskets – please no alcohol or glass. The show will begin around 9:30 p.m.
- Food vendors include the Buck Truck, Kona Ice, We Be Popping, and El Pueblo. The Army will also have an information booth.
- Please note that Grant Avenue signals from Railroad east to I-505 will be put on red flash following the show with officers directing traffic so that cars can exit town quickly. Vehicles on side streets at the rotary will be required to turn right and stay traveling either east or west to help vehicles exit town.
- Expansion of the Arroyo Detention Basin will begin next week. Adjacent neighbors have been directly notified. The basin will be deepened and expanded toward the adjacent trail to accommodate storm flows. Removed dirt will be trucked to local projects that need clean dirt. The historic grove will be protected in place and an arborist will monitor potential impacts to the trees.
Don’t Miss Out!
- July 13 at 6:00 p.m. the City will host a community workshop via Zoom for the proposed 61 acre Farmstead development located on the northside of Grant Avenue across from the E. Main intersection. This mixed-use project proposes 200 single-family lots with three different lot types, a 4.2-acre 84-unit multi-family site to allow a mix of income types, 12.4- acres of commercial (±144,000 sf), a 5.3-acre Park, and 2.4-acres of open space to accommodate storm drainage, and a bike trail. The Zoom meeting information is available here.
- Thursday, July 8’s Music in the Park will feature Meredith Axelrod and Craig Ventresco for a night of vintage jazz, ragtime and blues. The concert begins at 7:00 p.m. in Rotary Park. It was a great time last night so come on down and listen to great music, mingle with your neighbors, let the kids run free, and support the Winters Friends of the Library with their fundraising efforts. Proceeds support enrichment programming and the Winters Library.
Upcoming Council Meeting
- The next Council meeting is Tuesday, July 6, and we are still working on technical issues integrating various platforms with our Council Chamber AV system so the meeting will be Zoom only. Items include:
- PG&E will present this summer’s Public Safety Power Shutoff (PSPS) planning efforts and system improvements that have been made following damage from the LNU Complex fire.
- Davis Public Safety Trauma and Grief Support Team (TAG) will present their program as the City considers bringing their services to Winters. The program provides trained volunteers who are dispatched during traumatic incidents to assist family members with unexpected losses.
- Award of contract for the preparation of an Environmental Impact Report for the Farmstead development project.
- A City of Winters appointment to the Yolo County Fire Safe Council.
To all those volunteers and event team members helping to bring community programming to Winters! They wouldn’t be possible without you!
- Covid testing is no longer available at the Winters Community Center on Fridays. Testing is readily available at most major pharmacy chains.
- The Delta variant of COVID-19 is gaining traction across the United States. This strain is more transmissible and can cause more serious illness among the unvaccinated.
- Getting vaccinated is easier than ever; County staff will even deliver vaccines to homes and businesses through July 16. Visit Yolo County’s website here for information regarding testing, vaccine safety, and various documents.