City Manager’s Update (pdf)
February 26, 2021
Greetings, all. It is glorious out! We’re in the Red Tier! All of which means we hope to see downtown spring to life this weekend, and activity pick up at all of our businesses. To stay current on deals, events, and all the happenings, please follow our businesses and Discover Winters CA on social media, and share posts with your friends and family. Together we all can make a difference.
- -We are now officially in the Red Tier, which means limited capacity indoor dining and more capacity in retail stores. Gyms and movie theaters may also re-open with limited capacity. More information is available on the County’s COVID-19 web page here (in English and Spanish).
- -The County has issued its list of free COVID-19 testing sites for March, which is available here and on the City’s website at http://www.cityofwinters.org/covid-19/ in English and Spanish. The Winters Community Center at 201 Railroad hosts a testing site every Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. No appointment is necessary.
- -City Hall will remain closed to walk in traffic while we implement a few customer service improvements given reduced staffing, particularly on Fridays when employees alternate taking days off under the 9/80 program. A 9/80 schedule allows staff to work longer days over two weeks to accommodate a three-day weekend every other week. Most staff alternate their days off on Friday, which means there are only a handful of staff at City Hall that day. 9/80 schedules are an attractive benefit in the public sector and are an important part of our effort to attract and retain employees. Flexible schedules are particularly helpful when salaries may not be as competitive as surrounding jurisdictions as is often the case in smaller communities.
- -We have been attempting to reprogram the phone system for better service, only to learn the phone server needs to be upgraded to accommodate updated software. Once implemented, we will be able to reprogram the phones so that calls can drop into voice mail or route to a staff member on duty. We appreciate your patience as we reorganize staff support to improve our customer service.
- -Building Division inspections are available Monday – Thursday by calling (530) 764-6708. This line is now being monitored by the Building Inspector AND the City Clerk. If you leave a message, please include name, address, a contact phone number, the day you are requesting for an inspection, and your preference for morning or afternoon.
Don’t Miss Out!
- -Yolo County Transportation is offering free rides for COVID-19 vaccinations from March 1 thru June 30th. To get a free ride to and from your COVID-19 vaccination appointment, please show the driver
- confirmation of your COVID-19 vaccination appointment. As a reminder, face masks are required for all users of Yolobus services. If you need assistance planning your trip on microtransit, paratransit or fixed route call Yolobus at (530) 666-2877. Fixed route schedule information is available at yolobus.com. For information on vaccination locations, visit Yolo County’s vaccine webpage here.
Did You Know?
- -The Winters Unified School District will return to in-person learning on a hybrid model beginning March 8. More information is available on the School District’s website at wintersjusd.org. Let’s give a huge round of applause to our school district staff and teachers for getting ready to bring children back in the classrooms.
Upcoming Council Meeting
- -We have a very light agenda on March 2nd. Council will consider an agreement to prepare construction plans for the continued build out of the old Police Department building at 104 Abbey Street. In addition to the large conference room, the new office space will house the Finance Department and potentially the Human Resource Manager.